Sunday, March 8, 2009

"The Talk"

Friday night I finally had "the talk" with Madelyn. I was feeling brave and told her about the birds and the bees. It did not go well. She is 9 1/2 and very much a little girl, which I love. A couple months ago she was devastated because she thought she knew what sex was. Come to find out she thought it was just lying near someone naked. So needless to say the truth blew her pure little mind. She sobbed and declared, "I barely found out I need braces in 6 months, I can't handle all of this!" Of course then I feel like a bad mom who maybe told her too soon. I just didn't want her to get some creepy school version. Plus all her friends know. I guess time will make her freak out lessen. And it will be a great story to tell her future husband one day...

5 comments:

bethany said...

I dread that talk...you are a brave brave woman.

The Dominguez Family said...

I think even though she didn't take it well it was good that she heard the facts from you. I had that talk with Carlos when he was around eight...

Gardner Family said...

We've had that talk and it totally grossed our kids out! On top of that, their dad is their vice principal and all the kids at school know that their parents "did it" because I'm preggo. How embarrassing for them.

Good job for being brave. My mom just a gave me a book and after I read it she asked me if I had any questions. I didn't, of course. We lived on a farm. I kind of figured things out watching the animals.

Curtis' parents never said anything to him. On the morning we got married I picked him up so we could drive to the Temple together. When I got to his house he was in his room with his dad getting "The Talk". Seriously.

You did the right thing.

Shawn said...

oh my gosh that freaks me out! I haven't even thought about having to have that talk with my kids! You are way brave!

Melissa Brown said...

I think it was still smart of you to tell her even though she may have been upset a little. It is better for her to hear it from her Mom than some kids at school. I am not looking forward to that talk at all :( Good thing I have some years to prepare!?