Monday, December 8, 2008

My own worst enemy

I sat awake in my bed a long time last night and couldn't quiet my mind. I've had OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) since I can remember. I've only been diagnosed and on meds
for about 6 years, but was always uptight and "organized" as a kid. Lately I feel like it's eating me alive! I can't distinguish where Holly starts and OCD ends. I'm on high doses of medication for it (update: the meds WERE what caused me to gain weight. People gain a lot of weight on doses that were only 1/10 of what i was taking. Recently my doctor switched my meds, so fingers crossed that it works. This weight drama has been so long that it seems impossible that i will ever lose it again. still dieting and exercising though...) Anyways...I kind of had a break down last night and definitely feel like I'm suffocating. The older I get and busier life gets, my OCD gets worse. The meds definitely help take the edge off of my anxiety, but lately i feel alone and a little crazy. My mind is tired, my heart is tired, and my body is tired. And I'm only 30!!! I just don't know how else to be. OCD is a huge part of who I am: my decorations are up perfectly, my house is constantly spotless, my kids are well behaved and never dirty, laundry and bath schedules are never derailed, and I always have at least 3 lists that I am a slave to constantly. Exhausted yet?! If i don't live this way I am depressed and feel useless and worthless. It effects everything! I don't have friends...What I mean by that is life passes me by.
I don't hang out or do anything fun. It just takes my productive time away (after this post i realize that i sound like a downer anyways...not high on the list of friend must-haves). Sleep is almost non-existent, maybe 5 hours on a good night. I'm a grouchy ,on edge mom that lives with the guilt of stealing fun and spontaneous moments away from my kids. Luckily Jared is a saint (mostly) and we have a happy marriage, but i know the crazier i get the harder it is on him. I just know that some day when I'm gone all my anal diligence won't matter, but will amount to a huge amount of wasted time...at my funeral: "Wow our mom was the best! Never were our fingernails left long and jagged. She had it all together!"...Not happening...It even effects my church attendance because I go non-stop for 6 days without much sleep and then by Sunday my body is maxed out and i get sick. Basically I'm a hot mess :). I know i need to lean on the lord more, but beyond that, I'm really stuck. Then i feel bad burdening all my peeps out there with many of these intense blogs, but that's how i roll. The negative and incessant worrying comes withe territory of OCD. Sometimes i think i just need to get rich like Madonna so i can pay people to worry and focus solely on enjoying my life and family. One can dream!

4 comments:

hillari said...

well, at least you do have it all together. I worry that my kids will one day be like, "man, mom is such a slob." I hate when my house is dirty too, but I just can't seem to keep it clean.
I still love you, even if you want to dump on us!

Melissa Brown said...

While reading this I was like "Been there" but not quite as complex! You have got to stop beating yourself up so much. Your kids love you... for you! You do do fun stuff with your kids. Pres. Moson's talk in conference was awesome for me. 'Finding joy in the journey' It made me realize things can wait (dishes, laundry) and some things can't wait. I know that sounds so hard for you, but I think if you don't change something soon, you may go really crazy and depressed. I am sorry you have this burden. Please let me help however possible!!!

Bethany said...

Holly, it breaks my heart to hear you say you feel this way! I wish there was something I could do. I really really do! I know it sounds perfunctory, but let me know if you need anything. I LOVE talking with you! Call me just to talk. I can't tell you how sad it makes me that you feel alone. I love you and I don't want you to feel this way.

I am going to do what I can (I have some small ideas). I know it sounds cheesy, but try to have some hope. I want to help in any way I can.

Gardner Family said...

I bet alot of people feel like you do at times. Your sharing helps us all keep our own lives in perspective, as well as be more aware that other people just might be having a hard time. It fosters more compassion. Thanks for sharing what are very personal feelings. We all think you're a great mom!